It is an understatement to say that Tinnie Silver Dollar’s history runs deep. The back bar was brought in from Chicago and was reportedly once owned by legendary gangster Al Capone.
The stained glass was imported from Germany. Antique furniture from as far away as San Francisco and paintings by the likes of Peter Hurd adorn the rooms. Benjamin Harrison, the 23rd president of the United States, is mentioned in the property title.
Originally named “Analla” after an early settler, the one-time general store and post office was purchased in 1909 by the Raymond family and renamed Tinnie, after their daughter.
Fifty years later the property changed hands again. The new owner, Robert Anderson, restored the building and added much of what visitors see today: a steakhouse and saloon, a sprawling veranda, wrap-around porches, and the signature bell tower.
Analla or Tinnie: This is a settlement on US 380 four miles east of Hondo. It had a post office from 1903 until 1909 as Analla. Today it is known as Tinnie. It was named for Jose Analla who first settled the area. It is mostly a ranching community. It is near the large caves or Las Cuevas. It was sometimes referred to as Cuba. Tinnie is an unincorporated community located in Lincoln County, New Mexico, United States. The community is located on U.S. Route 70 22 miles (35 km) east of Ruidoso Downs. Tinnie has a post office with ZIP code 88351.
The Tinnie post office was established on April 27, 1903, with Isidro Annalla as postmaster until November 12, when Pedro Annalla became postmaster. He remained only two months and Sallie A. Murray took the office and remained until the Raymonds bought the store from the Anallas in 1906. The Raymonds built the Present Tinnie Mercantile from adobes made on the place.
The most of the people at that time were Spanish Americans but the Raymonds had a little blond daughter, named Tinnie. The people thought she was beautiful and got Mrs. Oney Raymond to change the name of the post office to Tinnie in honor of the little girl. Mrs. Raymond told them that a petition would have to be sent to Washington. A petition was circulated and nearly everyone signed it. The name was then changed to Tinnie on April 5, 1909. Mrs. Raymond remained postmaster until April 7, 1914, when Henry D. Murray was appointed. He was followed by Andrew N. Coward. On Jan. 6, 1923 Mrs. Raymond again became postmaster and with the exception of a short period when Walter B. Rose was the postmaster, April 1, 1929, to December 26, 1932. She continued until her retirement on July 31, 1954, a total period of nearly fifty years. Her daughter, Virginia Guest took the office and served until Arthur Clements was appointed Dec. 12, 1959.
Robert O. Anderson of Roswell bought the building in 1959 and decided to preserve the old country store. He spent several hundred thousand dollars, adding a porch all around the building, a tower and a pavilion besides putting in the Silver Dollar Bar and a steak house. Many of the old things were in the place but a lot more were gathered from as far away as San Francisco by John Meigs, an artist who lives at San Patricio. Mr. Meigs was commissioned by Mr. Anderson to plan and oversee the building.
Arthur Clements retired May 31, 1971, and his daughter, Fannette McKinney, became the officer in charge at that time and appointed postmaster Dec. 9th, 1972. February 15th, 1975 the post office was moved to its present site where Fannette has her fountain and gift shop, too.
Nearby ghost towns are White Oaks and Jicarilla. Why did the Ghost Towns of New Mexico disappear? Several forces caused the towns to vanish such as mines going broke, local landowners being bought out, the railroad moving its facilities, and the widespread use of the automobiles which allowed people to travel to larger towns for supplies. Other nearby towns are: Carrizozo and nearby villages include: Capitan, Corona, and Ruidoso.
Still in operation after 110 years, with a beautiful boutique full of unique wares, and the elegant steakhouse with an ambiance of yesteryear; The Silver Dollar is the perfect venue for weddings, holiday parties, or any other special gatherings. Let us make your next event one to be remembered. Give us a call at (575) 653-4425.